The Light Middle East Awards is here to showcase the brilliance in architectural lighting and design.
On the 25th of September, the 6th Light Middle East Awards took place amidst the luxurious setting of the Hilton Hotel, Al Habtoor City. Over 600 of the Lighting Industry professional got together to celebrate their peers across 6 product and 7 project categories.
Congratulations to all the winners!
2019 Awards Categories
The Light Middle East Awards has 9 project and 6 product categories, each highlighting the importance of lighting design. The 2019 Awards will also see the introduction of ‘Personality of the Year’ and ‘Distributor of the Year’ categories.
Outdoor lighting Product of the Year : This category celebrates the product that utilizes innovative technologies to provide high-value, high-performance outdoor lighting solutions.
Indoor lighting Product of the Year : This category recognizes the product that utilises innovative technologies to produce high-value, high-performance indoor lighting solutions, etc.
Connected Lighting Innovation of the Year : This category appreciates innovation that includes all visible light communication, IoT, Li-fi, IP-based systems, data management and smart city technologies.
Decorative Wall Lighting Product of the Year : This category recognizes the product that utilises specific designs to add ambient lighting in a variety of spaces to turn a flat wall into something decorative.
Decorative Chandelier of the Year : This category celebrates the product that provides a decorative light fixture mounted on ceilings for indoor design lighting requirements.
Decorative Table Lamp of the Year : This category recognizes the product that utilises unusual contemporary designs as an accessory for indoor decorative requirements.
Hotel Lighting Project of the Year : This category is aimed at the interior and exterior lighting design of the Hotel that best incorporates lighting as part of the scheme (i.e. how the light works with the materials and finishes and the different moods it creates within the space) and whose exterior lighting is carefully designed with regard to placement, intensity, timing, duration and color – controlling light pollutions and preserving the night sky, etc.
Restaurant / Bar Lighting Project of the Year : This category is aimed at interior and exterior lighting design of standalone Restaurants, Bars, Lounges that emphasise the space designs and features, creating a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere, etc.
Entertainment and Leisure Lighting Project of the Year : This category is amied at the scheme that manages to transform the mood of customers and illuminate the unique façade, architecture and structure of the of all types of leisure and entertainment buildings such as sports facilities, stadia, theatres, cinemas, theme parks and museums.
Retail Lighting Project of the Year : This category is aimed at the outlet whose lighting is best used as a tool to create experiences which influence consumers mood and behavior in commercial spaces from food to fashion.
Workplace Lighting Project of the Year : This category appreciates all types of workplaces from Offices, Education and healthcare where the lighting is people- and task-orientated.
Public Realm & Landscape Lighting Project of the Year : This category is aimed at promoting excellence in lighting design and illumination in rich and diverse qualities of exteriors, heritage buildings and spaces open to public.
Retrofit Lighting Project of the Year : This category is aimed at projects that incorporated advanced energy-saving and environmentally responsible retrofit solutions, with the usage of quality products to minimize energy consumption and impact on the environment, in a government building, Hotel, Retail or Leisure facility in the Middle East.
Light Art Project of the Year : This category appreciates temporary and permanent Art installations, productions, media architecture which transforms the perception of a given space making it attractive but also adding a value added wow effect using light as the essential design element and the fundamental construction material.
International Lighting Project of the Year : This category is aimed at exceptional lighting design for an iconic project with excellent aesthetic design, with the usage of quality lighting products with latest technology, etc.
The person who has made an outstanding contribution to the lighting industry 2018-2019 in terms of milestone, creativity, innovation, technology and education.
Distributor of the Year is open to all Lighting distribution companies. It recognizes the overall service and support provided to a client in the lighting installation market, taking into account product focus and choice, availability and distribution services, pre- and post-sales support, market development assistance and online capabilities. Entries are actively encouraged to include hard facts and figures – (please be clear if any details are confidential. Confidential details will be used for judging purposes only). All programmes and initiatives must have been new or further developed between 1st March 2018 and 1st August 2019 to qualify.
- The Light Middle East Awards are recognized by the industry and through these awards, your effort and success acquires international coverage and build global associations.
- Receive high profile national recognition and showcase your work to an international audience
- Winners will be able to access the reach of a global network where you will receive global and domestic coverage
- Ultimately, winning the award will set you apart from the competition and enable you to attract new business and talent
- All nominations must be submitted online
- Nominations must be in English and deadline for submission is 15th August 2019.
- All projects must be completed between 1st March 2018 – 1st August 2019.
- The projects entered in the competitions except for the entries in the International Lighting Project of the Year category, should be located in the Middle East.
- For the International Lighting Project of the Year category, projects located globally will be considered.
- Any supplier, manufacturer whether an exhibitor or not, CAN apply for the Light Middle East Awards.
- The Products should be launched from 1st March 2018 onwards
- Nominations must be in English and deadline for submission is 15th August 2019.
- The nominee should be in a senior management role and based in the Middle East region.
- Nominees must have been in the role for a minimum of 12 months
- Entries must be nominated by a colleague
- Nominee must approve the entry
- All nominations must be submitted online.
- Nominations must be in English and received by 15th August 2019
Entries will be marked against the following criteria (Entries not addressing these points may be marked down).
- Demonstrate why you feel you qualify for the Distributor of the Year award.
- What has your business achieved in the past 12 months that makes it stand out from the competition? (500 words)
This can be a mix of initiatives launched to help clients maximise their business, exceptional credit provision in a difficult economy, significant expansion of the business through organic or acquisitive growth, client/vendor education programmes or simply punching above your weight in terms of business offerings.
- What has been your company’s biggest achievement over the past year? (500 words)
Pick a particularly successful case study (client or vendor partnership) from the past year and explain to the judges why it was such a success, and why you think it will help you win this award. A client or vendor testimonial can be used to back up the case study
How to submit your nomination:
Step 1: Choose the category you wish to enter (you can enter a project/product into more than one category)
Step 2: Complete the online nomination form
Step 3: Upload the photos and write-ups about your submission
2018 Light Middle East Awards winners
Innovative Lighting Product of the year: Unico by XAL
Indoor Lighting Product of the year: Centura by Radiant Architectural Lighting
Outdoor Lighting Product of the Year: 3D LED Flex 100 IP66 by Radiant Architectural Lighting
Decorative Wall Lighting product of the year:
Umbra by Office of Design and Development (Brand: SOGANI by Vibhor Sogani)
Decorative Chandelier Product of the Year: Breath of Light by PRECIOSA
Decorative Table Lamp of the year: Eva by METALARTE part of Luxiona group
Innovative Lighting Product of the year: The Constellation - The Founder's Memorial Abu Dhabi by dpa lighting consultants fzllc
Hotel Lighting Product of the year: Bvlgari by Delta Lighting Solutions
Restaurant / Bar Lighting Product of the Year: Bvlgari Yacht club by Delta Lighting Solutions
Entertainment and Leisure Lighting product of the year: La Perle by Dragone
Retail Lighting Project of the Year: Casamia by Nulty
Exterior/Public Lighting Project of the Year: The Constellation - The Founder's Memorial Abu Dhabi by dpa lighting consultants fzllc
International Lighting Project of the Year: Canteen Duesseldorf Germany by Licht Kunst Licht AG
Judging process & judges
Light Middle East Awards follows 2-3 rounds of shortlisting processes. To maintain the transparency and integrity of the Light Middle East Awards, any jury member submitting their company project is not allowed to vote for the entire category. Here’s the process:
- All the entries are reviewed and evaluated online by the jury team
- Maximum 7 top scoring entries from each category are shortlisted for Round 2 through the online voting system
Round 2/Final Meeting:
- The jury team meets to re-evaluate each nomination. Another round of scoring takes place during this meeting.
- Should the judges deem necessary, they will conduct a site inspection of the project before the final judging process.
- All shortlisted product entries will be required to send in samples of their entries which the judges will test during the final judging day.
- The product samples are also evaluated during this meeting
- Final results are collected from the jury
2018 Judging Panel
Project Jury Team
Global Design Director, Ligman Lighting
Public Realm Consultant, Abu Dhabi Municipality
Design Director, Principal, Perkins+Will
Director, Black & White Engineering
Jameel Abu Shuqair
Director, New Hotels – Design MEA, Intercontinental Hotels Group
Senior Associate - Head of Middle East, Zaha Hadid
Partner, Foster + Partners
Senior Vice President, Regional Managing Director, MEA, Wilson Associates
Senior Associate CMLI, The Vero Studio
Head of Design, Brewer Smith Brewer Gulf (BSBG)
Managing Director, desert INK
Product Jury Team
Director, dpa lighting consultants
Managing Partner & Senior Principal, Delta Lighting
Director, CD+M Lighting Design Group
Principal lighting Designer & Partner, Light Touch PLD
Design Director, Studio Lumen