The Light Middle East Awards is here to showcase the brilliance in architectural lighting and design.
On the 25th of September, the 6th Light Middle East Awards took place amidst the luxurious setting of the Hilton Hotel, Al Habtoor City. Over 600 of the Lighting Industry professional got together to celebrate their peers across 6 product and 7 project categories.
Congratulations to all the winners!
2018 Light Middle East Awards winners
Decorative Table Lamp of the Year: Eva - Metalarte by Luxiona Group
Innovative Product of the year: Unico - XAL
Indoor Product of the year: Centura - Radiant Architectural Lighting
Outdoor Product of the Year: 3D LED Flex 100 IP66 - Radiant Architectural Lighting
Decorative Wall Lighting product of the year: Umbra - Office of Design and Development (Brand: SOGANI by Vibhor Sogani)
Decorative Chandelier Product of the Year: Breath of Light - PRECIOSA
Innovative Lighting Project of the year : The Constellation - The Founder's Memorial
Abu Dhabi - dpa lighting consultants
Hotel Lighting Project of the Year: Bvlgari - Delta Lighting Solutions
Restaurant / Bar Lighting Project of the Year: Bvlgari Yaucht club - Delta Lighting Solutions
Entertainment and Leisure Lighting Project of the year: La Perle by Dragone - La Perle by Dragone
Retail Lighting Project of the Year: Casamia - Nulty
Exterior Lighting and Public Lighting Project of the Year: The Constellation - The Founder's Memorial
International Lighting Project of the year: Canteen Duesseldorf Germany - Licht Kunst Licht AG
The Light Middle East Awards has 9 project and 6 product categories, each highlighting the importance of lighting design.
Innovative Lighting Project of the year This category is aimed at projects with a unique concept, out of the box thinking, excellent aesthetic design, with the usage of quality products with latest technology project that best shows an innovative achievement of creative and unusual lighting, etc.
Hotel Lighting Project of the Year This category is aimed at the interior and exterior lighting design of the Hotel that best incorporates lighting as part of the scheme (i.e. how the light works with the materials and finishes and the different moods it creates within the space) and whose exterior lighting is carefully designed with regard to placement, intensity, timing, duration and color – controlling light pollutions and preserving the night sky, etc.
Restaurant / Bar Lighting Project of the Year This category is aimed at interior and exterior lighting design of standalone Restaurants, Bars, Lounges that emphasise the space designs and features, creating a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere, etc.
Entertainment and Leisure Lighting Project of the year This category is amied at the scheme that manages to transform the mood of customers and illuminate the unique façade, architecture and structure of the project, etc.
Retail Lighting Project of the Year This category is amied at the outlet whose lighting is best used as a tool to create experiences which influence consumers mood and behavior in commercial spaces, etc.
Exterior Lighting Project of the Year This category recognizes excellence in not only the lighting design but in the usage in all aspects of exterior lighting, etc.
Public Lighting Project of the Year This category recognises excellence in the Lighting design of Universities, Place of Worship, Streetscape, Hospitals, Museums, Parks & Theme Parks, Sports Facilities, Airports, Ports, Stadia, Theatres, Metro Stations, Facades, Monuments etc. , that delivers best in both natural and artificial illumination: light and surface, light and texture, light and pattern, light and color and most importantly, light and human activity, etc.
Sustainable Lighting Project of the Year This category is aimed at projects that incorporate advanced energy-saving and environmentally responsible solutions, with the usage of quality products with minimum energy consumption and minimum impact on the environment, etc.
International Lighting Project of the year This category is aimed at exceptional lighting design for an iconic project with excellent aesthetic design, with the usage of quality lighting products with latest technology, etc.
Architectural Lighting Product Category
- Innovative Lighting Product of the year: This category recognizes the product that utilises innovative technologies to produce high-value, high-performance lighting solutions, etc.
- Outdoor lighting product of the Year: This category celebrates the product that provides high-performance, professional caliber outdoor lighting solutions for outdoor lighting requirements, etc.
- Indoor lighting product of the Year: This category recognizes the product that utilises innovative technologies to produce high-value, high-performance indoor lighting solutions, etc.
Decorative Lighting Product Category
- Decorative Wall Lighting product of the year: This category recognizes the product that utilizes specific designs to add ambient lighting in a variety of spaces to turn a flat wall into something decorative.
- Decorative Chandelier of the year: This category celebrates the product that provides a decorative light fixture mounted on ceilings for indoor design lighting requirements
- Decorative Table Lamp of the year: This category recognizes the product that utilizes unusual contemporary designs as an accessory for indoor decorative requirements.
- The Light Middle East Awards are recognized by the industry and through these awards, your effort and success acquires international coverage and build global associations.
- Receive high profile national recognition and showcase your work to an international audience
- Winners will be able to access the reach of a global network where you will receive global and domestic coverage
- Ultimately, winning the award will set you apart from the competition and enable you to attract new business and talent
How to submit your nomination:
Step 1: Choose the category you wish to enter (you can enter a project/product into more than one category)
Step 2: Complete the online nomination form
Step 3: Upload the photos and write-ups about your submission
Judging process & judges
Light Middle East Awards follows 2-3 rounds of shortlisting processes. To maintain the transparency and integrity of the Light Middle East Awards, any jury member submitting their company project is not allowed to vote for the entire category. Here’s the process:
- All the entries are reviewed and evaluated online by the jury team
- Maximum 7 top scoring entries from each category are shortlisted for Round 2 through the online voting system
Round 2/Final Meeting:
- The jury team meets to re-evaluate each nomination. Another round of scoring takes place during this meeting.
- Should the judges deem necessary, they will conduct a site inspection of the project before the final judging process.
- All shortlisted product entries will be required to send in samples of their entries which the judges will test during the final judging day.
- The product samples are also evaluated during this meeting
- Final results are collected from the jury
2018 Judging Panel
Project Jury Team
Global Design Director, Ligman Lighting
Public Realm Consultant, Abu Dhabi Municipality
Design Director, Principal, Perkins+Will
Director, Black & White Engineering
Jameel Abu Shuqair
Director, New Hotels – Design MEA, Intercontinental Hotels Group
Senior Associate - Head of Middle East, Zaha Hadid
Partner, Foster + Partners
Senior Vice President, Regional Managing Director, MEA, Wilson Associates
Senior Associate CMLI, The Vero Studio
Head of Design, Brewer Smith Brewer Gulf (BSBG)
Managing Director, desert INK
Product Jury Team
Director, dpa lighting consultants
Managing Partner & Senior Principal, Delta Lighting
Director, CD+M Lighting Design Group
Principal lighting Designer & Partner, Light Touch PLD
Design Director, Studio Lumen